Tuesday, August 31, 2010

When excitement turns to fear

I was accepted.  I applied to a writing program.  I sent them writing samples.  I fretted.  And then I was accepted.
 photo by Marcus Ridder

And then the stalling began. Enrollment.  Cost?  Not the issue.  My husband said go for it.  Difficult to enroll?  Easy to do!  Not sure about my assigned instructor?  Are you kidding?  He has a long list of amazing accomplishments:  His work has been published in New York Magazine and Saturday Evening Post.  He was an Articles Editor at Life Magazine.  Senior Editor at three publishing houses including Doubleday.  Oh, and he has worked with many prominent authors including George Plimpton.  In case that isnt enough, he has published 6 novels of his own.

No, it's none of those.  It is my confidence level.  I realize they wouldn't have accepted me if they didn't think I had "something", but what if I can't think of any ideas?  What if my creativity has dried up?  What if I can't live up?  Did you SEE my instructors list of accomplishments?

Despite all of this, I did it.  I enrolled this morning.  I now await my materials to arrive and the class to begin.  I just need to find the confidence...

2 comments:

  1. KIM! Oh this is so amazing! I am thrilled for you! Do you begin this fall? Oh Oh- I am doing happy writer dances. I have a million questions, but when you are ready to tell all, please share.

    I would feel the same as you. But you said it- they saw in your writing a gift to nurture, to develop- that is what your instructor is trained to do. You, as the writer, just open yourself to your own possibilities. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, I have sent you a message with the reply :)

    ReplyDelete