Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mile 9


Or can I even call it mile nine?  You see, I'm having trouble reaching this milestone.  Today I barely made it to 7.5 miles before I acquiesced to the incredible stiffness in my legs and back and stopped the treadmill.  I was frustrating.  One and one half miles to go. Less than 30 minutes.  And I couldn't do it.  My legs wouldn't move any further.

So here I am, trying to be a problem solver.  Trying to decide what the problem is.  Do I need to cut back on my weight workouts for the next two months?  Yesterday was 2 kinds of squats plus lunges, all with weights.  Could that have caused the stiffness?  Shouldnt the weights HELP?  Shouldnt they strengthen my legs? It isnt like lifting is new to me - Ive been doing it since March.

Do I need to commit to daily yoga until the race?  Would that help my legs do their job?

This is something important to me.  I felt failure today when I had to stop.  I was teary - pain and stiffness or disappointment and inadequacy?

I have to do this.  I have to walk this before I turn 40.  Not usually being stubborn or athletic, I am not used to these feelings.  I am not used to being so determined to reach a physical goal.  But I am.

So I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment